Lawyer “murdered by wife weeks into marriage” after he was made redundant


Sharon Edwards, 42, is accused of murdering criminal lawyer David Edwards, 51, at their £320,000 home in Chorley, Lancashire, less than two months after they got hitched.

The couple, who wed in Las Vegas in June, were heard arguing after returning from a holiday in Majorca on August 22, according to Edwards” 19-year-old daughter.

The teen saw Mr Edwards in the bathroom “calling for help” and cleaning blood from his chest following the row.

But the couple later went to the pub despite him bleeding from the leg and chest, Manchester Crown Court heard.

They were later spotted screaming at each other in the street before they were escorted home by local cops.

And the next morning popular Mr Edwards was found dead in his own bed — with visible knife injuries.

His wife later claimed that he had taken a knife from the kitchen and waved it at her before she took it off him.

Prosecuting Anne Whyte QC said Edwards told police she “didn”t know he had walked into it until I saw all the blood”, and stated he had “begged” her not to call for an ambulance.

Edwards said they had gone upstairs to have sex and his wound had stopped bleeding before she had fallen asleep on the sofa.

Blood splatters were discovered around the house on the carpets and in their kitchen.

Mrs Edwards, who was described as “domineering”, possessive” and “very jealous”, was alleged to have beaten her husband throughout the course of their brief relationship, the court heard.

Her husband was recorded saying his new wife could “knock him out with one punch” and that she hit “rather hard”, jurors heard.

But he was “plainly besotted” after meeting his wife-to-be in June 2014.

Miss Whyte said: “Despite the turbulence that was to characterise their relationship, he was plainly besotted with her and plainly felt that she was the one for him.”

Friends and colleagues claimed that Mr Edwards had appeared increasingly dishevelled and noticed a decline in “his appearance, his professionalism as a solicitor and in his self respect,” Miss Whyte added.

He had been told not to return to work before leaving for the holiday.

Edwards denies murder.

The trial continues.