Three missing after Didcot collapse “unlikely to be alive”
It is “highly unlikely” that three people missing in the Didcot power station collapse are alive, a local fire chief says.
One person is dead and five are injured after the “major incident” at the Oxfordshire site on Tuesday.
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service chief fire officer David Etheridge said there had been “no signs of life detected” in the wreckage.
Demolition work had been taking place at the decommissioned Didcot A plant.
Mr Etheridge said search and rescue teams have been using thermal imaging cameras, drones with audio sensing equipment and sniffer dogs but had not detected anything.
He said the teams had received no response from the demolition workers” radio, which they were treating as “highly significant”.
The three people being treated in hospital are seriously injured and are being treated at the John Radcliffe Hospital.
The second half of the building “could collapse at any time” as it has undergone the same process as the first half of the building, which collapsed, he added.