A student who forgot to remove a tampon for nine days found it was ‘pure black’ when she removed it – and was left in intensive care.
Emily Pankhurst, 20, a third year criminology student at the University of Canterbury in Kent, was in intensive care for three days and was left walking on a Zimmer frame after suffering toxic shock.
Emily, of Maidstone, Kent, said, ‘When I finally realised the tampon was in me and I pulled it out it was pure black. It was obviously coated in bacteria.
‘I wouldn’t have known what it was apart from the string. It was horrible. I immediately chucked it in the loo, I felt sick.
‘But just half-an-hour later my speech slurred and my skin became mottled. I started to feel faint and I was rushed to hospital by ambulance.
‘During the journey they said I was displaying all the symptoms of sepsis and so the blue lights were put on. I became an emergency case.”
At Maidstone Hospital she was transferred to intensive care. For three days 12 different types of antibiotics were intravenously fed into her.
‘I’ve never been in pain like it so was given morphine and doctors said if I had left it any longer I would be dead.
The NHS said: ‘he role of tampons in toxic shock syndrome remains unexplained.
‘One theory is that if a tampon is left in your vagina for some time, as is often the case with the more absorbent types of tampons, it can become a breeding ground for the bacteria.