Amazon has offered to replace the charger, pictured above, for free
The online retail giant has been forced to send out an email to millions of customers offering to replace the wall plugs for the devices after it emerged they could cause an electric shock. Amazon told parents that the worrying fault affects two models of its best-selling Kindle Fire tablet, including a specific model designed for children. In an email sent to customers tonight Amazon said: “We have determined that, in rare cases, when the power adapter included with the UK Fire 7" and UK Fire Kids Edition 7" tablet is pulled from the socket, the adapter assembly may detach and create a risk of electrical shock.” Worried parents are being offered new chargers for free and have been warned to stop using their original adapter over safety concerns. However, they have been told they can continue using the original USB cable attached to a computer or another generic charger to power up their tablets. Amazon has asked customers to send back the faulty chargers and says the problem only affects devices sold in the UK and Ireland from September 2015.
One concerned parent told Express.co.uk: "It's terrifying to think that something designed for young children could electrocute them."I bought a Kindle Fire for my five-year-old daughter at Christmas and she absolutely loves it.
"But kids these days look after all the technology themselves. She understands it better than I do.
"My daughter turns it off and on and charges it herself, so I was appalled to receive an email from Amazon warning of the risk of a potentially serious electric shock."
The 37-year-old father of two, from Aylesbury, Bucks, added: "How many people out there have been hurt by these Amazon adapters? I think the public have a right to know."This could be really serious as Amazon must have sold millions of these tablets in the run up to Christmas, when they had all sorts of special deals on on the Fire Kids Edition.
"Parents are run off their feet and it's scary to think how many people might miss this email recall - and who might have young children out there using these chargers every day at real risk of a 240 volt electric shock."