A father has claimed his son was dismembered and eaten by a notorious cannibal during a riot at a Venezuelan prison.
Juan Carlos Herrera Jr, 25, was allegedly stabbed, hanged and dismembered, before being eaten by a notorious cannibal and other inmates during a month-long prison siege at Táchira Detention Center.
Eight visitors and two guards were taken hostage in a riot that broke out on September 8 due to overcrowding. Around 350 men had been crammed into the prison, which only has the capacity for 120, according to The Daily Telegraph.
Herrera Jr was jailed in 2015 for robbery and became caught up in the prison mutiny.
His father, Juan Carlos Herrara Sr, told local media that a fellow inmate witnessed his son’s brutal murder.
Speaking to reporters today, he said: ‘My son and two others were taken by 40 people, stabbed, hanged to bleed, and then Dorancel butchered them to feed all detainees.
‘They cut them up and fed them to several [of the fellow inmates], they made the bones disappear. Dorancel cut the flesh.’
Notorious Dorancel ‘people-eater’ Vargas was jailed in 1999 for cannibalism.
The father asked police to give him just one bone so his family can hold a burial and try to move on.
The Minster of Correctional Affairs, Iris Varela, confirmed two inmates have disappeared but denied claims they were victims of cannibalism.
Crisis in Venezuela
Venezuela is in an economic crisis with shortages of goods and food.
Citizens have been forced to abandon their pets in the street, faced with the choice of feeding their family or the animals.
People are protesting the government of President Maduro in the streets.