Detectives have finished a three-week excavation of land around the farmhouse where Ben went missing in 1991 aged 21 months, but they have failed to find his remains.
Distraught, the boy”s mother has now said police “believe he is there but they can”t dig in everyone”s gardens or homes that have been built over the years. I want to tear up the whole island to find him”.
The excavation was ordered in response to a tip-off from a man who claimed his friend, digger driver Konstantinos Barkas, may have been responsible for the toddler”s death.
The man claimed Barkas, who died last year from stomach cancer, had been carrying out digging work on the day Ben went missing.
As the excavation began, Ben”s mother Kirsty Grist, braced herself for son”s body to be discovered.
But after a fruitless search, Kerry Girst said she is “still in limbo”.
She added: “They know he”s dead but just can”t find him. Police said it”s time we ended our 25-year search.
“They are right but I can”t say goodbye knowing he”s still on that island somewhere. I feel physically sick. I can”t feel any worse than I do.”
Speaking to the Mirror, she said: “Someone knows where he is. For God”s sake, help me find him. We know he”s dead but we need to find him. When someone dies you find a special place.”
Early into the dig, police found an area of “decomposition” which they believed may be the toddler”s remains.
But the findings turned out to be remains from an ancient burial site dating back to the Romain Empire.
South Yorkshire Police said on Sunday: “The physical search of two sites on Kos, Greece, has formally come to an end.
“Work continues behind the scenes as officers begin to process the findings from each site.”