Stephen Port murder trial Alleged victim “unaware he was raped”


Stephen Port murder trial: Alleged victim “unaware he was raped”

Image caption
Stephen Port is accused of murdering four men with lethal doses of drugs

A man only realised he had been raped by an alleged serial killer when he saw a video of the crime, a court has heard.

Recordings shown to the Old Bailey jury on Friday, show Stephen Port, 41, and a third man having sex with the alleged victim.

The witness, who appears unconscious in the recording, said he did not consent.

Mr Port denies 29 charges including four counts of murder, as well as drugging, rape and sexual assault.

The 24-year-old witness, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told the court he first met Mr Port in 2010 when they had consensual sex and sniffed poppers.

He said the pair met again in late 2014 when he arranged to visit Mr Port”s flat in Barking, east London, including on New Year”s Eve.

Image caption
Mr Port has denied 29 charges in total

The court heard the man was shown footage from that night by police in April this year.

When asked by prosecutor Jonathan Rees QC how it was possible for another man to have sex with him without his knowledge, the man said it was because “I was knocked out”.

David Etherington QC, defending, suggested to the 24 year old that he did know Stephen Port had occasionally had sex with him while he was asleep.

The witness answered “no”.

Mr Etherington also suggested to the man there were many “peculiar things” occurring between the pair, and the nature of the relationship was “you doing what he [Port] wanted”.

Earlier in court, the judge told the jury the footage had been “upsetting” to watch but there was no intention to show any of the other videos.

“You”re not going to have to see that or any other video again,” Mr Justice Openshaw said.

The trial continues.