Dog saves sleeping man from Wirral ecigarette house fire


Dog saves sleeping man from Wirral e-cigarette house fire

Image caption
The house was severely damaged in the fire, caused by an unattended e-cigarette left on charge

A man has been saved by his dog as a fire sparked by an e-cigarette tore through the house where he was asleep.

He was able to escape the blaze, at a house in Upton, Wirral, suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke before calling firefighters for help.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said the e-cigarette had ignited while charging at the home in Norwich Drive.

A spokesman said the man had been lucky to survive, adding that e-cigarettes should never be left unattended.

Fierefighter Jo Stephens said: “Unfortunately he suffered slight smoke inhalation and the property was damaged by fire and smoke, but things could have been a lot worse.

“We would urge people never to leave their e-cigarette on charge while they are asleep or away from the house, and to always read the safety advice enclosed in the packaging.”

The warning follows a nationwide alert regarding e-cigarettes issued by the Local Government Association (LGA).

The LGA, which represents the 49 fire and rescue authorities in England and Wales, wants e-cigarette manufacturers to display warnings on packaging.

It also discouraged people from using cheap or incompatible chargers for the devices.