“Blood everywhere” Man with AXE on rampage in Hull shot by police city put on lockdown


Police have confirmed a 31-year-old man was shot by officers at 9.37am this morning, after they received reports of concern for the public due to a potentially dangerous individual.

Witnesses say they saw an injured man, who they believed to be carrying an axe, in the street after hearing what they thought could have been gun shots.

One eyewitness, who was doing a training course at the Case Centre when the incident took place, said: “We”d only been in there a few minutes when we heard two loud bangs  some screaming and there was just a big commotion.

“We looked outside and there was a guy with his back against the kerb lying on the floor. There was blood everywhere.

“His jeans were slightly down and you could see his boxer shorts were covered in blood. It”s sad.

“At the end of the day whatever he”s done he”s got a mum somewhere hasnt he?” 

Workman Kevin Hollis,  who was walking back to a nearby site said: “I”ve been told that a guy with an axe was attacking a car, and he was shot twice. He”s dead apparently.”

One man, who lives on Caroline Street out walking his Yorkshire terrier, said: “Everywhere you go there”s a copper.

”It must be quite serious. It can”t be an accident because they wouldn”t shut this many roads.”

Police have cordoned off Charles Street, off Freetown Way, while a separate cordon has been placed around the Case Training building.

Parts of nearby roads Raywell Street, Caroline Place and Francis Street have also been roped off.

In a statement Humberside Police said: “We can confirm that a 31-year-old man was injured at 9.37am today after shots were fired by officers.

“We deployed armed officers to the Holderness Road area shortly after 9.20am, following reports of concerns for the safety of the public in relation to a man seen near the Post Office in Holderness Road, Hull.

“The man, who cannot be named, is now receiving medical attention.

“An investigation is underway and the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which is standard practice in such incidents.

“We are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident at this time.

“As such, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this stage.”

Onlookers have been advised not to leave buildings in the area, as the city remains on lockdown.

Abdul Bhaji,  who lives on Francis Street, said: “I just came back from work and they said “You can”t go down, stop there. I”m going back to the warehouse, it”s cold.”

Emergency services, including paramedics and fire fighters, remain at the scene.


Fire officers have erected large screens in a car park in Francis Street and there appeared to be a red and white screen in place outside a building.

Office workers stood outside the building watching as police stood guard at the cordons.

A spokesman for the Independent Police Complaints Commission said an investigation is now under way: “The IPCC understands, at this time, that officers were called to Hull city centre just after 9am this morning following concerns about a man in the Holderness Road area.

“IPCC investigators have been deployed to the scene and will attend police post-incident procedures. They are also being updated on the medical condition of the man.”