Did Pablo Escobar commit suicide? Drug lord killed himself to save family, son claims

0
65

Sebastian Marroquin said he is “absolutely certain” his father committed suicide and was not shot dead by Colombian cops.

In the official version of events, the narco kingpin was fatally gunned down in a rooftop shootout on December 2, 1993.

But in an astonishing interview his son, formerly known as Juan Pablo Escobar, claims his dad shot himself in the head to evade capture.

Speaking to Sun Online, he accused coroners of falsifying the autopsy to fit their version of events.

He also claims the US government allegedly bought cocaine from Escobar and used his drug empire to bankroll the fight against communism.

He said: “I have the absolute certainty that my father committed suicide.

“Coroners who did the autopsy were threatened and forced to change the official report.

“My father always told me the shot that would take his life would stick.”

Mr Marroquin, 39, made the explosive claims ahead of the release of his tell-all book Pablo Escobar: In Fraganti – which means Red Handed.

He was just 17-years-old when the bloody war between Escobar and the DEA ended following a 15-month search.

At the peak of his power, Escobar’s drug empire was thought to be worth more than £30billion.

He amassed his vast wealth through importing drugs – namely cocaine – into the US thanks to a “network of corruption”, Mr Marroquin claims.

Mr Marroquin claims that US officials worked with his father to smuggle 800 kilos of cocaine each week from Medellin to Miami International Airport.

He said: “There are some shocking revelations about my father and the bonds of international corruption that helped him make millions for very important organisations through drug trafficking.

“It is clear that at some point the US decided to buy cocaine from Pablo Escobar and use their services to fund the anti-communist struggle in Central America.”

Popular Netflix series Narcos has breathed life back into the life story of Escobar.

Now running into its third series next year, Mr Marroquin has been critical of the Emmy Award nominated-show show.

He highlighted 28 inaccuracies in a scathing post on Facebook – despite offering producers unrestricted access to his family archive of photos and videos.

He said: “But they preferred to buy the version of the DEA where nobody ever met my father in person, but through records.

“So far no series has treated seriously the story of Pablo Escobar.”