Woman jailed for four years for glassing man who told her to stop being nosey


Woman jailed for four years for glassing man who told her to stop being nosey

Bethany Cox glassed a man in the face (Picture: Ross Parry)

A woman has been jailed for four years after she left a man permanently scarred when she glassed him in the face.

Mark Cook, 29, was attacked when he told Bethany Cox, 24, to ‘stop being nosey’. She threw a drink in his face then smashed the glass on his left cheek, leaving him with terrible scars.

Tree surgeon death (Facebook/Alexander Kirkley/INS)Tree surgeon bled to death when chainsaw cut his throat

Prosecutor Jeremy Evans said the unprovoked attack happened when Mr Cook didn’t allow her into a conversation he was having with a woman about the breakdown of a relationship between his friend and the woman’s friend.

Cox, who was holding a half-filled pint glass of a Black Russian cocktail, threw the drink in Mr Cook’s face, leaving him blind to her pulling her hand back and smashing the glass in his face.

Cox then walked out of the bar, placing the base of the smashed glass down as she left Matrix Bar in Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, in the early hours of March 30.

Horrific injury picture of Mark Cook. See Ross Parry story RPYGLASS; A woman glassed a man in the face after being told to butt out of a conversation. Bethany Cox, 24, left Mark Cook, 29, with permanent scarring after she threw a drink in his face and then smashed the glass into his left cheek after he told her to

The horrific injuries on Mr Cook’s face (Picture: Ross Parry)

Mr Cook, who was bleeding heavily at the time, alerted bouncers and was taken to Diana, Princess Of Wales Hospital, Grimsby.

He was later transferred to Hull Royal Infirmary, East Yorkshire, where he needed 24 stitches.

Cox later handed herself into police after hearing from a friend officers were investigating the attack. She admitted assault, but denied wounding with intent.

Teenager couldn”t get on train because shopping bags blocked disabled bay

She was found guilty of wounding with intent following a trial at Grimsby Crown Court.

Mr Evans told the court Mr Cook was recovering well from his injuries and had no ill feelings towards Cox since the incident.

The court heard Matrix bar had introduced a new policy of serving drinks in plastic cups after 9pm following the attack.

Jailing Cox for four years, Judge David Tremberg said she had ‘lost control’ and intended to cause Mr Cook serious harm.

Detective Constable Robert Laking, who led the investigation for Humberside Police, said after the hearing: ‘The jury has considered the case and found Bethany Cox guilty of wounding. This was a serious incident in which alcohol was considered to be a factor.

‘Bethany Cox must now face the stark consequences of her violent actions that evening, which caused serious lasting injuries to another person.

‘Humberside Police is committed to tackling violent crime and, as this case demonstrates will take action against those who behave in a way which threatens the safety of others.