French police arrest ‘shameless’ couple who falsely claimed they were Paris attack victims

0
8

The “unscrupulous” pair both face “immediate trial” after being arrested by French police on Tuesday. 

The couple, a 47-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman, are currently being held in pre-trial detention. 

They were arrested for posing as victims of the Paris massacre that left 130 people dead and hundreds more injured and are due to appear in court later today to face charges of fraud, officials said.

The man and the woman, whose identities have not yet been revealed, said that they were eating at a McDonald’s restaurant near the Stade de on the night of Friday November 13, 2015 and were “injured” after an ISIS bomber detonated his suicide vest outside the fast-food outlet.

The fraudulent couple put in a claim for compensation for the injuries sustained in the attack, but their scam was soon exposed by police after telephone records showed neither of them had been anywhere near the Stade de France that night.

The man has admitted to lying about being in the McDonald’s restaurant, but his partner has strenuously denied the allegations of fraud made against her.  

They are not the first to face trial for posing as fake victims of the Paris attacks.

In November, 24-year-old Laura Ouandjli was sentenced to one year in prison for lying about being in the Carillon bar where 15 people were murdered by terrorists on November 13.

And in December, a couple who were granted €30,000 (£26,000) each after falsely claiming to be victims of the attacks, were both jailed.

The man was sentenced to six years in prison while his wife received three years.